Sunday, March 11, 2012

Sidetracked for a Minute...

I got side tracked this weekend.  I meant to spend huge chunks of time working on getting the first draft typed into the computer and cleaning things up and fleshing things out.  But instead, I got totally sidetracked by the NPR Three Minute Fiction contest.  The concept is simple: Write a story of 600 words or less using their prompt.  If it wins, you get  interviewed on NPR and your story is read on the air!  
Stolen from NPR, but it is to promote their stuff so hopefully no one will sue.
 Three Minute Fiction has developed a huge community on Facebook that is incredibly supportive and encouraging of writers.  We all root for one another in our projects and our lives, and it has been are really amazing experience to learn from them all.

I hope that some of you decide to enter this round and join in on the experience.  Once the contest if over, a lot of us take turns sharing our stories and giving feedback (we don't  post them before the contest is over though...we don't want to risk elimination for "publishing" it).

And yes, I realize that, tactically speaking, I am ratcheting up the odds of NOT winning by sharing this with more potential competition, but I strongly believe that writers should support writers.  After all, we are all trying to do the same thing...to create the best story we can.

7 comments:

  1. I always mean to look into the Three-Minute Fiction contest, but then I forget. Thanks for the reminder!

    P.S. I put something for you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I love, love, love awards (my husband would say it is because I secretly like the attention...okay, maybe not so secretly, since I just admitted this to the world). Comments make me happy too...because then I know I am not just talking to myself here; someone else is actually listening to be ramble on!

    I really hope you have time to enter the NPR contest, it such a fun challenge (also, it is nice to have company while we all wait nervously for the results)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like so much fun! Thank you for telling me. I'd love to participate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fabulous! The more the merrier! If you are on Facebook, go "Like" the NPR Three Minute Fiction page, too. It is a wonderful community!

      Delete
  4. Have fun!! I know what you mean about getting sidetracked... lol :)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should do it, too! You are really talented! Give it a try!!!!!

      Delete
  5. I'll have to take a look at this. I've been doing a good job keeping up my word count target recently, so maybe I'll spend this week working up a good outline, then write it all up this weekend. No way I'll win over more experienced writers, but just the thought of someone from NPR even looking at my writing is a big thrill.

    ReplyDelete