Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Imagination Drain

I have encountered several people lately who seem to think that there is something wrong with encouraging our children's imagination.  If these individuals are to be believed, we should not encourage our children to read certain types of things because "they need to focus on the real world.

There are people who seem to think that cartoons are a "normal phase" for a child, but that encouraging them to read the Harry Potter books, or discover Narnia, or Middle-earth is irresponsible parenting!  And these people seem to gravitate toward me and then lecture me endlessly in an effort to "enlighten" me about this perceived parental shortcoming.

Um...yeah, right.

Book have always been my refuge.  When school was unbearable, I read.  When faced with the endless summer of a latch-key kid, I read.  I have ALWAYS read.  And my kids read...a lot.  They see me reading, and they grab a book and join me.  Sometimes we read aloud and sometimes, as my seven year old son puts it, "We will read quietly, in our heads, and snuggle next to each other."

My children have learned friendship from Harry Potter, bravery from Bilbo Baggins, self-sacrifice from Peeta Mellark, and--here is the most important part--we TALK about what they read.  We read some of the books out loud in order to touch on things that might need explaining.

Yes, my children have cried through books when characters die...and I cried right along with them.  In life, people die.  Encountering death in books gives us a way to talk about some of these big life-things before Life dumps them in our lap. 

This "real life" of which the naysayers speak also has death and betrayal and sacrifice and hard choices (or hadn't they notices?).  I am trying to help equip my kids to deal with these things.  So we read about it, and we talk about what we have read, because reading has never failed me.

So, yes, my children may know an insane amount about Harry Potter, and they may be able to quote huge chunks of The Hunger Games, and they may know more about Middle-earth than some might consider healthy but...along the way...they also learned a few other things, too.  Things that I am darned proud of.

Rather than pull the imagination drain and trying to tell my ten year old (who HATES the sight of blood) that she "needs to be a pediatrician because it is a steady field with a good income" rather than "following your mother's fantasy of becoming a writer," maybe you should actually LISTEN to her when she tells you that she loves books, and loves words.  Maybe you could even encourage her a little when she tells you that she has a story she "simply has to get out." 

I have always told my daughter that words are powerful and that they can be used for good, or used for evil, and that she had a responsibility to watch her words to make sure she used them wisely.  To those who try to deny the importance of a child's imagination...OF ANYONE'S IMAGINATION...I say to you:  You need to watch your words.

14 comments:

  1. Good for you! I think imagination is important in life, and not just for children, but for adults too! And it's sad how sometimes it's discouraged. In school, creativity is kinda burned out or sedated. Because being creative sets you apart from everyone else. And in school, if you're different you're usually an outsider.

    Luckily, my family has just sorta accepted that we're different and we just go with it. My dad's a readoholic along with my eight-year-old brother who just finished the 4th Harry Potter book. So high-five for continuing to grow imagination!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The entertaining thing is that these kids are probably reading these books at the library or at school or hiding them under the matress.

    I suppose this kind of "rebellion" is better than some of the other options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo! Any kind of a story that encourages kids to read is worth reading. Even the most far-out fantasy is about the "real world". Just because the hero is up against some imaginary problems doesn't mean the consequences aren't the same kinds of things we deal with in everyday life.

    Harry Potter might have to save the world from the darkest wizard who ever lived, but the choices he makes and the actions he takes are grounded in real-world decisions all kids face. Friendship, loyalty, life, death, and doing the Right Thing even when it's the more difficult thing to do. Don't kids have to deal with these things every day? They might never have to face a dragon or a Dark Lord, but their real life choices might be informed by decisions Harry made (stand up for your friends! do the right thing! don't give up on your dreams!).

    Also:
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

    If it worked for Einstein, it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad that society is leaning this way! Books are food for the soul. You're an awesome mom for doing what you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, this! People are so lost in the real world. Sometimes, I wish I could hand them a good fantasy novel to help them find their way out of the labyrinth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this piece. This is some of the best advice I have ever read about how to read and learn together as a family-how sharing words and stories equips us to cope with actual events and people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This piece is some of the best advice I have ever read about how we can read and learn interactively with our children. It clearly shows how reading and talking together about the stories we encounter in books can help equip us to deal with real people and events we face in our daily lives. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fairy tales were the medieval world's way of helping children with knowledge about growing up. We have a far greater range on literature on which to draw.

    What do these people think children should be doing if not reading?

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lot of parents are afraid. Afraid of having to talk to their child about the themes and hard topics books bring up. In many cases they have no problem letting their child watch the same things flash by on TV or at the mmovies, and yet they are afraid of what a child may find in a book. This is because the parent doesn't read or want to read the WHOLE BOOK their child might be reading. Just read it and there will be no unkoown evil inside that you can't explain sincerely and fully just like you do for a mature-themed movie. Good post, Terri! Too bad these parents will probably be too lazy to read this too...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good post! Perfectly put, as usual. The lazy parents don't want to read so they just save themselves the trouble by saying "no."

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read a lot as a kid. Not once did I come across any story that gave be the "how-to's" of stealing a car, the surest way to get beer as a minor, how you can kill somebody and get away with it. I had to learn all that on my own, but books did teach me about humor, sadness, frienship, betrayal--about the character of humans and what to expect from them. It prepared me for the good and the bad so I didn't have to learn it all the hard way. If I where a parent, I would be a lazy parent, but I would be smart about being lazy; I would encourage my child to read anything and everything so I wouldn't have to teach them all that stuff. Duh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! It is hard to follow your dream in this world we live in and power to those who have the guts to. I wish I were in the latter category. Btw - I love the kids on books image. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Who are these people? They must have forgotten what it's like to be a kid. I'm glad I haven't come across any of them.

    I dare say imagination is a great way of dealing with many of the things that life throws at us. And that goes for any age.

    ReplyDelete
  14. By the way, are you still interested in swapping WIPs? I'm hoping to finish up my first draft by the end of next week.

    ReplyDelete