Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Art Doesn't Come Cheap

Today has been a day full of juggling.  I have juggled schedules and budgets and my mental focus to accommodate the giant back-to-school beast that is looming a month away, as well as other life-stuff and, frankly, it is making me cranky. 

I feel like every moment is being sucked away, and that it is being squandered.  You see, I do not have set writing time.  I have a "write at stoplights" kind of life.  I have been known to scribble on the back of an envelope while in an elevator.  I have texted myself ideas and lines of dialogue so I don't forget them.  I have written on my arm when paper was scarce.  Because ideas are precious, and they cannot be taken lightly. 

Writing (or Art of any kind, really) comes at a steep price.  I am not talking about the price that the consumer pays for the product, but the price that we as artists must pay in order to create Art. 

"Big Heart of Art" from qthomasbower on Flickr

At the moment, as my eye twitches a bit spasmodically, I am realizing just how much sleep I have been deprived of lately.  I have also been forced to say, "Hang on, sweetie.  Mommy is almost finished with this article" a few more times that I would like as of late. 

We pay in time, in lost opportunities, lost lunches, lost sleep, and lost sanity as we try to bring to life this thing that we can imagine so clearly in our mind.  It is all of these lost bits that help to give Art its value; the value grows exponentially with all the blood and sweat and tears.   

To all those people who claim, "You know, I could write a book" and to those who tear apart a work that encompassed four years of late nights and missed moments and peanut butter sandwiches...I wish to offer you a challenge:  If you really think you could do it, or do it better, but all means:  DO IT! 

But don't try to devalue our Art with your pettiness.

 

5 comments:

  1. Along with phrases such as 'my four year old could do better'. Bunch of Philistines.

    Art takes time to do properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! I HATE it when people say that! Luckily my crankiness is subsiding, and I am feeling inspired and empowered! Let's hope this feeling lasts (fingers crossed!).

      Delete
  2. Amen! I couldn't have said it better myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strange thing is, though, that I often find that the busier I am the more inspired I am to write. If I have loads of time there's always the chance of putting it off instead of grabbing the moment.

    ReplyDelete