Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Edge of Hell

Writers' Hell
I am in Limbo.  (Which, I just googled and found out was Latin: limbus, meaning "edge or boundary, referring to the 'edge' of Hell.)  Okay, maybe I am not literally in hell, but as close as a living, aspiring author can get to Limbo.  You see, I currently have a story entered in a contest over at Figment.  The winners were supposed to announced "on or about September 12, 2012."  So, like...any minute now.  But they haven't been announced yet.  I have nearly worn out my keyboard hitting the refresh button, to no avail.

I also have a short story that I just submitted to Shimmer magazine.  I am currently waiting for the lovely, Shimmery People over there to find it in their overstuffed inbox, read it, and (fingers crossed, knocking one wood, wishing on a star) decide they want more than anything to include it in their publication.  We shall see.  It takes three weeks or so to hear back.  In the meantime, I will write other things, and read, and obsess, and hit the refresh button, and wonder if my inbox is broken.

If you are so inclined, you should feel free to cross your fingers as well, maybe knock on wood, say a prayer or offer up a good intention.

I could use it!

For those that are, likewise, waiting to hear back on submissions, please let me know how you are coping and keeping your sanity...assuming, of course, that you are maintaining some precarious hold on your mental health.

9 comments:

  1. It seems I am always "on submission" and hence, in limbo. I think I've finally learned how to forget about it and work on something else. Like revising the last 20 pages of my current manuscript. Then it's on to query land, hopefully followed by submission land and then...limbo again, no doubt!

    Seriously though, I do find it easier if I have another project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I have no shortage of projects! ;) But you are right...it helps to stay busy.

      Delete
  2. Waiting is pure hell.

    I hope everything goes well **knocks on wood**

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Unfortunately, my stay in Hell just got a little longer...the judge is STILL reading the entries, so I guess we will all have to sit tight and wait. I hope my fingers don't get TOO cramped staying crossed that long.

      Delete
  3. I keep writing. There's nothing else to do. I also distract myself with the internet, where I can talk with other writers in submission limbo to relieve anxiety! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Distractions. Hm...so, Laura, how've your been? Whatcha working on? How's the family?

      Delete
  4. I have a few submission I'm waiting on too. Nerve wracking! I'll cross my fingers for you if you cross yours for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel your pain, my new friend!!! I bake. A lot. And consequently end up with what I like to call "baker's butt." Hahah! But it's so worth it. Best of luck to you and your submissions. Here's hoping for a banner year for you!!

    ReplyDelete