Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Pride and Spite...and a Bit of Obsessing

I have not fallen off the edge of the earth, or toppled over the edge of Hell.  Although it feels a bit as if I might have, since the "Defy the Dark" contest has still not announced the winners.  I know, I know.  It is an exquisitely torturous limbo that I am living in, and I am trying to gear up by preparing for the worst.  This means trying to find another outlet for the story in the event that I am not one of the three finalists. 

And then, I get distracted by obsessing over the numbers:  Okay, so there were 1,242 entries.  So that means I have a 1 in 414 chance of winning.  But, that does not account for how many might actually have been good.  Hm, let's assume that half of them were really pretty good.  That gives me a 1 in 207 chance of winning.  Wow.  I still don't like those odds. 

So I guess I should just stop crunching numbers and start looking for an alternate home for my story.  Just in case.

I am working on compiling a list of leads for future reference.  I am creating a list with hyperlinks to the websites, because I want to make sure that the contact information and such are the most current available. 

I have also made a submissions spreadsheet so I can keep track of what is out pending rejection  review, who I have heard from, and deadlines. 

This makes me sound oh-so-much-more-organized than I really am.  My real life consists of writing articles at the kid's bus stop at 7:30 a.m., writing on my lunch break, writing when no one is looking, and writing at home after the kids go to bed.  I try to work in 500 words of my novel each day, and I am also scouting about for short story contests that might be promising.

That's a lot of writing.  I wish more of it could be dedicated to my novel, though.

It seems a bit strange to me that I can get paid for my words, that my words have actual monetary value.  So strange.  As in I-am-going-to-wake-up-any-minute strange, or soon-they-will-realize-I-am-not-a-real-writer odd. 

Oh, oh!  I also have a print article coming out in a local publication in January.  This makes me deliriously happy.  It makes me ponder whether there is a discreet way I can "accidentally" leave the magazine (conveniently open to my article page) at several family members' homes.  Not out of pride or spite, mind you, but just to prove the nay-sayers wrong.  Okay.  Um...maybe there is a bit of pride and spite there...  Rats.

At any rate, I am plugging along.  If any of you know of any good horror/fantasy markets for short stories, or can offer any words of encouragement, or ways to deal with the endless waiting, please let me know...maybe you can help curtail another pointless round of number-crunching.

And, since I am too lazy to find a more appropriate photo to somehow neatly wrap up the non-existent theme of this rambling post, I offer you this:


My cat's eyes glass over at my incessant number crunching...


10 comments:

  1. I don't have any good advice for coping with waiting. I think most of us console ourselves with hitting the refresh button on the email inbox, and seeking solace from our writing buddies who keep talking us back off the ledge! :D

    At least, that's what I do. It's always good to know I'm not the only one in the literary holding pattern some days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I for one fully intend to make an Agent Love Voodoo Doll like you suggested on your blog. Now if you would just make that widget you talked about! :)

      Delete
  2. First of all, SORRY I HAVEN'T VISITED IN SO LONG! Just been really busy lately!

    Good luck in the contest! And I know what you mean about not finding enough time to write! I've got tons of homework every night, so it's hard for me to keep up with editing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hang in there! (And you never have to apologize for being busy!) I know you will find a way to juggle school and writing and editing, and everything else...you are just awesome like that.

      Delete
  3. Hi! So... this particular website http://www.all-story.com/contests.cgi is looking for literary fiction short stories currently... but sometimes they do horror/fantasy... I have an issue from last year in those genres. So... you should add this to your list of places to lurk until the time is right :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOooh. Great, thanks! That is definitely going on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck. :) I try to focus on doing things rather than checking email, and I often have my internet off entirely to keep me out of my email/facebook/twitter. More productive that way.

    Also, I garden. I recommend gardening to bore the nerves out of you with physical exertion. Or shoveling snow, depending on the season and location. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, that settles it. I am totally going to clean out the (dead) flower beds and rake some leaves this weekend. Even if I don't win, at least my yard will look nice.

      Delete
  6. First off: Good luck!

    Second: you're thinking of the contest numbers all wrong. A solid half of them won't even be in the running because they'll have not followed guidelines/be wrong genre/have crazy high-low word counts. The next group 40% will all be maybes ranging from poor writing to pretty darn good but something isn't right. The last 10% are the YES YES YES category. Oh but wait, there's more: almost all judges can easily agree on the bottom 50%. They're obvious, but the 40% maybe and 10% awesome category changes from judge to judge because it is subjective.

    Which sort of leaves you in the same problem of 1 in 207. So I guess that's no real help there.

    Third: have you looked into Buzzy magazine? they're online, but they pay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, CRAP, Rena. I thought you were going to give me some better odds! ;) Well, I guess I will just have to keep raking leaves until next week. Hopefully the results will be in by then.

    I have not checked out Buzzy, but I will! Thanks. I am totally into anything that pays right now...between kids and cats I could use the income. (Too bad there isn't a writing contest with a new dishwasher for the grand prize.)

    ReplyDelete