Wednesday, February 13, 2013

My "To Don't" List

Life is too short to accomplish all the things expected of me. With the day job, three kids (two of whom have been ill since the weekend), seven cats, three blogs, my novel, my freelance work, and a marriage that too often gets shuffled around to make room for other things. There is simply too much on the "To Do" List.

Clearly I need to move some things over to the "To Don't" List.

  1. Neatly Made Beds - I think that this is a "To Don't" no-brainer.  While I admit that I appreciate the comforting smell of fresh linens, and the joy of sliding between freshly laundered sheets neatly turned down and waiting, this does seem to be one of the few housekeeping areas that might be able to slide--at least temporarily.  I am more partial to clean underwear than a made bed.
  2. A Clean Car - wait, my car is never clean, so this won't really buy me any time.  Damn.
  3. A Made-up Face - I wear very little make-up anyway--normally just some powder, a bit of mascara, and a dab of lipgloss first thing in the morning.  I never bother to reapply.  I am not sure if giving this up will garner any "real" time, but I am willing to try. 
  4. Lunch Options - I may need to revert back to my time-saving strategy of taking a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter to my office and calling that lunch for the next month.  This actually saves time and money.  WIN!
  5. Valentine's Day - luckily, hubby has to work Valentine's evening (Sorry, sweetie!  I mean that in the nicest way possible!), so that takes the pressure off both of us to find something "new" and "exciting" to do after 23 Valentine's Days together.  We have mutually agreed to celebrate it at a later date and, since this means that the jacked up prices might be back to normal by then, I am considering this a time and money win as well!
But let's just plan our Heart- Day Meal
for another time...


There has to be more things that I can avoid doing...help me out, here!   

What have you given up to make more time for reading, writing, or family?

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes I skip taking a shower on Sundays. Saves time, money and water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not especially good at putting things on my To-Don't List, but yeah, bed making, car cleaning (back when I had one), and exciting Valentine's Days have been there for a while now! I'm more likely to search out ways to multitask, hence my love of audiobooks since I can "read" while walking the dog or doing all those annoying chores that never seem to end. I also try to limit my TV in general and only watch it when I'm also getting something else done.

    Best of luck with all your tasks and non-tasks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mostly I seem to have given up sleep and icanhascheezburger to get more time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My To-Don't list (under reconstruction):

    - Watch more than 2-3 hours of TV a week (if that)
    - laundry (wear work pants twice before throwing them in the hamper to cut down on laundry trips... this is probably not the best area to cut back)
    - general housework (your mother-in-law would be APPALLED, T.Z., but I do it to make you look good)
    - mindless net-surfing & facebook checking... (probably my biggest time-suck)

    ReplyDelete