Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Because They Said No a/k/a Slaying the Dragon

There are those that help us along our journey through their kindness and support.  There are others that inspire us to succeed...if for no other reason than the glory of proving them wrong.  I have both of these types of people in my life.  Fortunately, I have far more of the supportive variety.

But a little buggie recently informed me that another had confided that my work here was "just for show" and that "nothing would come of it."  I will admit, my first reaction was to pain.  For a moment, I even contemplated finding refuge behind the bathroom door (the only place a mom can find privacy...and then only rarely) and shedding a tear or two.  But I didn't.  Because I realized several things, all at once, and now I can share these things with you:
  1. There will always be people who think I "can't do it."  Even when this book is complete, and even if it finds some measure of success, they will still think it didn't do well enough.  And if it does undeniably well, they will think it was a fluke.  So be it.
  2. There will always be people who make themselves feel better about their neglecting their own dreams by killing another's dream.  This is to be pitied.
  3. There will always be people who do not appreciate my book (or my sense of humor, or my red hair, or...whatever).  They don't have to.  
  4. There are people who will pick you apart, if you let them.  Don't let them.
So, instead of retiring behind closed doors, I went back to my computer and typed out over 4,000 words that night.  And the next day, I typed some more...and so it continues.

I have nothing to prove.  But I do have a dream out there, and I plan on chasing it until the day I die.*  First one book, then another.  I choose to view these people as the dragon standing in the way of my treasure.  Every time I sit down at the computer to write, I am slaying the dragon.     

This is actually St. George, The Dragon Slayer,
but let's just pretend it is me.
So, you see, in some small way, the naysayers are also pushing me to complete this book.  I am sure it is not intentional, but it motivates me all the same.  Like the hopeful writer who, upon receiving their 37th rejection, sends it off "just one more time," I will press on.   

While proving them wrong is not my objective, it will be a nice reward for having completed the book. 


*knocking on wood (please join in)