Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Beware the Space Under the Stairs...and 147 Pages

FAIR WARNING:  I have decided to share bits and snippets of various things that are of significance in my book (or things that I just really like and want to inflict on you share).  Sometimes I may reveal a new character, details about where the story is set, important oddities about the setting, or other random things that might prove interesting.  Here is today's offering:
 
Beware the twll dan grisiau.

So, now that we have the obligatory creepiness out of the way...

I have to confess; this is the first time I have ever attempted to write an entire novel in long hand before I enter it into the computer and start editing it.  I have discovered that I actually prefer to write in pencil...it makes the changes and revisions less distracting than staring at scribbled out blocks of text that are further proof my stumbling along. 

I also found that I like the immediacy of being able to whip out my notebooks and get to writing without having to wait for the computer to boot up, to open the program and document, etc.  I also prefer the satisfaction of seeing the pages pile up.  It is a bit humbling to flip through page after page filled with words...my words!

Early on, I started dating my efforts to show how the progress grew...I could mark what was going on in my life when I was writing each word.  It is a bit unnerving to be able to flip to a random page and look at a date and think, "Oh, wow, I wrote that three months ago...was it really that long ago?  That was right before my husband's surgery..."  It makes the book almost a milestone of this year of my life.  I wonder how many characters suffered a change in fate simply because of the mood I woke up in that day....  I may have to examine this more closely once it is completed.

I have found that there are also some potential downsides to writing everything out in long-hand.  For example, I have a paranoid fear of losing the notebooks, or spilling something on them, or getting in a car wreck and barely extracting myself from the wreckage only to have the car burst into flames before I can rescue my only manuscript....

Other than the fear of obliterating my only copy of my book, I have also been obsessing over the amount of time it is also going to take to enter the whole book onto the computer once the first draft is completed; I do think that may actually work in my favor, since I can use it as my first round of editing (or so I imagine).  Fingers crossed!

Things have started getting more intense in my story line the past week or so.  People are on the run and finding out that the didn't really know those closest to them at all.  A new character is about to make an appearance, and there could be some romantic interest there.  I need to write more and see what kind of chemistry they have, but in my head it is going to throw some wonderful kinks into things.  The conflicts are building up, and in some ways it makes it harder to write.  I have found that when the plot becomes more interesting to read, it also becomes more emotional and nerve wracking to write.  But the past week has been pretty productive...I have completed 147 pages.



9 comments:

  1. First, those stairs are creepy looking! Very mysterious, too.

    Second, congrats on 147 pages! Wow, you're writing the whole book longhand!? I'm impressed. I have notebooks upon notebooks of writing in my closet--I used to write in longhand all the time before I got my laptop (and a few times since). But I would always type up a scene after I finished it. It was really cathartic sometimes, sitting with a pen and paper and having at it. My notebooks are a disaster of crossed-out lines and atrocious handwriting (sometimes I can't even read something I wrote and have to give it my best guess) and lines and arrows pointing to rearranged scenes.

    Emotional and nerve-wracking scenes tend to be part of the whole process, don't they? They certainly aren't easy to write, though! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! (Love your blog, by the way!)

      I did learn early on that I had better print when I filled in those notebooks, otherwise I would never be able to read it again. I do have my fair share of arrows and astrices cluttering up the pages. (I might have to scan in a page or two and post them here for creative effect!)

      Delete
  2. I have to say I'm completely jealous of your continued motivation. One of these days I will get my motivation back. Maybe I will take page from you and start writing by hand. Things did seem to be moving along better when I was keeping an outline I made while "working".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! I will admit that I still feel like I should be doing "more." But at least I am continuing to make progress.

      I used to try to do a timeline of the plot, but then I realized my characters had minds of their owns and things did not often turn out as I originally thought they would.

      So now I write a chapter of two, then I go back and add that to the timeline once I am sure what is happening. I thought this would also be beneficial when I am editting so that I can look for gaps in the timeline, so I can make sure that things flow well, have a natural arc, etc. (I will let you know how this works out for me when it is all over!)

      I do think that the goal of writing for an hour per day (even if that means breaking that up into a couple of half hours here and there) has made a huge difference for me in keeping motivated and progressing. Since I date the work, if I look back and see too many days passing between writing sessions, I immediately feel guilty and play "catch up" by writing more to compensate. More Guilt = More Writing.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for following my blog! You're my first new follower in over two months. It feels good for that record to finally stop ticking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you stopped by!. Well, I predict that your "dry spell" is over and that you will have several more followers soon. In fact, I rather like your blog, so I intend to share it with several others! Amanda Palmer (love her!) reminds us that "We are the Media" so I plan on playing my part and putting out the good word on your blog. Because I think writers should help/encourage each other, and because it is Thursday, and...just because! And if anyone now feels the need to listen to Amanda Palmer, here she is: http://music.amandapalmer.net/album/amanda-palmer-goes-down-under

      Delete
  4. Hi! I just found your blog and am having a fine time poking around reading your posts. It's great that you are writing longhand. I used to do that when I was younger, but haven't tried it since I finally got a laptop. What a great way to edit, though, as you type up your scenes.

    Also, I know what you mean about what was happening when you wrote that day affecting the story. One of my MC's Dad was laid off of his job one day after several people in my department were let go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you stopped by! Feel free to poke around all you like.

      I have enjoyed working on this book longhand. I am rather looking forward to typing it all into the computer though. I think that it will seem closer to real once I can see it all typed up.

      I am also looking forward to digging in and getting some of the kinks worked out. At this point, I have refrained from trying to improve sentences and am just trying to keep moving forward. Once it is all finished though, it is time to be ruthless!

      Delete
  5. Man!!! I am SOOOO HAPPY YOU ARE DOING THIS!!! I've been missing you - like I said before. But I LOVE the idea that you can feel your life twisting and turning and possibly impacting the book. SO fun! I will be your first buyer. Good luck and I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete