Monday, February 13, 2012

Writer's Guilt...and 149 Pages

This is one of those days when I feel like a fraud.  I wonder If you are really a writer, why didn't you write at all this weekend?  Writers, well...they actually write.  Ouch.

Yep.  I did not write Saturday or Sunday...not a bloody word!  I helped the kids decorate Valentine's Days boxes for school, I made a huge trip to the store with my mother-in-law and sister-in-law to stock up on food in case the winter weather became something impressive and fearsome (it didn't...it was pathetic...but, hey, at least I got my cabinets filled up!). 

I watched too much television (which I rarely do at all, much less to excess). 

I ate too much (and this at a time when I am entered in a "Biggest Loser" contest at work...more because I could really use the $400 prize rather than out of any real desire to become smaller). 

I did not write.  I was not productive.  Full stop.  No excuses.  (Just lots and lots of "writer's guilt").  [NOTE:  In an effort to avoid writing, I just went so far as to google "writer's guilt"...nothing.  Perhaps I am the only one who actually feels guilty when I go more than one day without having written something of substance.]

So, taken as a whole, I am assuming that I am still at "That Part of the Book."  (For more information on the pit of despair that is "That Part of the Book," please refer to Neil Gaiman's Pep Talk here.)  I am between 1/2 and 3/4 of the way through the first draft...so that seems about right.  "That Part of the Book" is a dark, dark place to be.  It seems that the only time I can force myself to sit and write is over my lunch hour at work...which is something at least, but not nearly enough. 

I suppose to should be grateful that it is not something more serious...like Writer's Block, or a Lost Manuscript (please hold on a moment while I knock on wood frantically).

Ok.  So apparently I need a self imposed deadline.  Something more short-term than the whole "year" thing to spur on some serious writing and get me back on track.  Fair enough.  I can do that...what about...hm..."I must write15 pages before the end of the day on Friday."  But wait.  There needs to be a consequence.  I need some incentive to actually get it done.  I will have to ponder this. 

On that note, if you happen to have any suggestions of possible consequences for failing to write my page count, feel free to leave them in the comments.  Maybe I should post some paragraphs...or a chapter...of what I am working on.  Perhaps some of my handwritten pages, or notes, or maps.  Or a picture of me writing, in my jim-jams, not wearing any make-up.  [Note:  In the interest of not wanting a lose any of my Followers, especially when people are just starting to "follow" me, perhaps the whole "no make-up" part is not the wisest idea...]  But I am open to suggestions, so comment away!

Also, in the spirit of continuing to share more of my current work-in-progress, I shall offer the following:



A slightly creepy, but ultimately rather intriguing, cairn.
 Enough procrastinating, already!  I will now sharpen my pencil, grab my lunch, and hole up at the corner table in the office break room so that I can try to get words on paper.

14 comments:

  1. Call it what you want, guilt, remorse, whatever, it all comes down to procrastination and you aren't alone. I can't imagine someone like Stephen King, Dean Koontz, or William Shakespeare having writers block, or uncertainty, but I'd bet they did at some point in their writing journeys. It's good to get away from it and deal with real life, anyway. This was a fun and humorous post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you for stopping by! Well, the good news is that the fear of having to post a bare-faced photo of myself has inspired me through page 153...so that is something. I know there are some writers that can write for eight hours or so at a time. Perhaps if writing was my full time job I could...nah, who am I kidding? I am more of a "burst of creativity" kind of writer. I can write three pages or so at a sitting comfortably, then I get antsy and have to google something, or make tea, or bake something...then I can write a bit more. I do believe I could write off and on all day long just fine, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe in a 2-way approach to this--a reward and a punishment. Therefore, if you meet your 15 page goal by Friday, then we shall get Chinese for lunch and eat it with chopsticks (or a fork if you just have to). If you fail to meet said goal, I will berate your loudly, right here on this blog, and you'll have to eat your Chinese with your fingers . . . or a spoon . . . I haven't yet decided which would be ultimately more entertaining for me to watch (and take pictures of). ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now, isn't THIS a conundrum? I have to decide whether to write and eat some yummy Chinese (which I have been craving) this Friday, or NOT write enough just because I think it would be funny to make you take pictures of me eating Chinese food with my fingers so that I could post them. Decisions, decisions!

      Yet another problem with being me is that I love attention. So, I am not likely to intentionally fall a quarter of a part short just for the sheer pleasure of getting a chance to laugh at myself.

      I am a dork that way.

      Geez, you totally fell into my trap. Win!

      Delete
  4. To me, "that part of the book" is the bit that keeps going in circles. In the first book in my current series, I kept walking in circles, and eventually dug my main characters a pit they couldn't climb out of. The plot dead-ended. I managed to salvage most of it, but lost about three pages where the plot derailed. Those three pages were replaced by fifteen pages of something useful to the story, though. It just took a few days to work it all out.

    I actually cried when I realized what I'd done, that I'd written myself into a corner. I got over it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure I read somewhere that J. K. Rowling realized she had some issues when writing Goblet of Fire and had to overhaul quite a lot of it (hang on while I confer with Google on this--yep, confirmed), so you are in excellent company!

      Delete
  5. ...this advice from a fellow wordsmith, if you push it, it'll just be letters on a page, a spattering of phrases.

    Let the words come to you, allow the ideas to approach on their own, quietly, as if bashful. Lure them in, with a tap tap tap of the keys, and the magic will follow ;)

    Just passing on some thoughts from my editor, and your post recalled our chat.

    Good luck!

    El

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's ok to take a day or two off now and again. At least, I hope it is. Otherwise I'm in big trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty good with missing a day here and there, but if I miss two days for no good reason I need to get back on track. I have to keep my momentum up.

      Also (guilty confession) I am one of those "all or nothing" people...I tend to be all kinds of healthy or eating chocolate for breakfast. I will go weeks reading nothing but blogs and e-mails and then have three books going at once. I am either totally organized or surrounded by piles of papers, magazines and "stuff."

      I have never been to The Land of Balance and Equilibrium, but I hear that it is nice.... I think I would quite like to visit, but I am not sure if I could actually live there.

      Delete
  7. Hey I've given you an award over at my blog! Come pick it up here: http://writeskatedream-jmckendry.blogspot.com/2012/02/dream-launcher-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, that is so sweet of you. Thank you! I am happy to help in any way I can. I am also anxiously awaiting some more chapters from you!

      Delete
  8. So, from reading your bio and some of your answers to the comments... I think we could be good friends. :) Lots of similarities... procrastination is something i combat constantly. The thing is I have to be able to find the fun in what I'm doing or I won't do it. Period. Like now... in order to work through my re-write, I am answering questions/interviewing my main character. I feel like I don't know her well enough anyhow... well, I didn't until she started answering all these wacky questions... and now I can get back to the re-write with a better, more playful understanding of who my MC is.

    Good luck figuring out what motivates you. I find that guilt and "consequences" only work for so long, though... and end up making me rebel and do nothing even more... (more nothing... hmmmm.....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it can be really hard finding out how to get (and stay) motivated. I tend to plod along and try to get "something down" in the hopes that I can work magic when I re-write and edit. Some days, though...some days the words are a gift from the heavens and you. And when you have "that day" you know it. When I am blessed with a day when the words pour from my pen I don't EVER want to stop writing, because I never know when it will all come so effortlessly again. Sigh. I get wistful just thinking about it!

      Delete
  9. Stuff happens. A long as you have that writing in mind and carry through with it later, it's the keeping the drive alive that counts.

    I gave you a Shout-Out on my blog today, just so you know. :)

    ReplyDelete