Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Re-writes, New Scenes, and a Very Chatty Muse

I am currently elbow deep in the rewriting process.  I purposefully stopped when I knew I had about three or four scenes to go (i.e., "The Big Climax" and "The Ending" bits), because I wanted to go back and flesh out some things, add in some snippets and hints, write some new scenes that I realized would improve things, and then I decided that I wanted to change the perspective from Third Person Past Tense to First Person Present Tense.  I felt like it would lend more intimacy and immediacy to the story.  So I guess I have my work cut out for me for a while.

I had re-written the first chapter and then, while driving in to work this morning (which, by the way, is one of the prime times that my Muse gets chatty), this new scene flashed in my head in an instant, fully developed!  I scrounged for a pen and a bit of paper and jotted down the important bits while at stop lights (because friends don't let friends write and drive), and then I hurried in here to tell you all about it.

My Muse, Calliope (a/k/a "The Chatterbox")
My Muse has been a bit of a chatter box lately.  Apparently she has a lot of ideas about the story and the characters.  Trust me, I am not complaining.  Due to some schedule changes on the ol' home front, I should gain an extra two hours (swoon!) each night to devote to the book, which should help move things along nicely.

I have also been busy serving as a beta reader to a fabulous young writer (and if she is reading this, I want to assure her I will have my notes to you by the end of the day tomorrow!).  Her work has been a joy to read, and her skill and word-weaving are inspiring!  (I should also warn her that I hope to have my first chapter to her in about a week or so for her to beta read!)

Also, on the subject of beta reading...it scares me to death.  No, not me reading other people's work, but letting them read mine.  I know, I know!  How on earth do I expect to be okay with putting my work out there for purchase if I feel nauseated when I hand over something to a beta reader?  The short answer is:  Um, well, I guess I will have to develop some really thick skin really fast! 

Don't get me wrong.  I can take criticism.  I really can.  And I really want my beta readers to "sock it to me," because it is much better to find mistakes, plot issues, etc., when there is time to change them rather than in a review, or a ill-tempered comment, etc. 

My wonderful (and patient) friend and "first reader" received a draft of my first chapter (minus the above referenced scene that I described above, what with me not having yet had the inspiration for it), and I am afraid I blatantly stared out her the entire time she read it (note to self: give beta reader the chapters, then walk away!).  I must remember to try harder to not scare my beta readers off.  Trustworthy beta readers are hard to come by, after all.  Luckily, not all of my beta readers are subjected to such behavior...only those that have known me ten years or longer and whom I see on a nearly daily basis. 

I am hoping that it gets easier the more I "let it go."  At some point, in some ways, the book will no longer be mine.  I will make the last few changes, decide it is as good as I can make it, and I will offer it to the world.  (And then I will alternate between wanting to throw up and obsessing over purchases and reviews, or perhaps I will multi-task and do both at once.) 

Until then, I will keep marking off the days, and listening to the Muse, and sharing my journey with you.  (And I will obsessively check  my blog for your comments which, quite honestly, make my day.)

22 comments:

  1. It's ok. I'm used to being stared at. This isn't my first rodeo with you, Ms. TZ. ;) I can't wait to see how this new scene plays out, though. I love it when the muse gets chatty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are incredibly patient. Thank you for letting me so thoroughly (and thoughtlessly) dominate the conversation over lunch. I promise to return the favor!

      Delete
  2. Good muse you have. Mine keeps going on holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I hand work over to my beta readers, I don't even want to be in the same state, let alone the same room! Very brave of you to stick around! When they're done, I spend hours asking questions, trying to get more complete and direct answers, but while they read I couldn't bear to watch their faces.

    I have been known to follow my husband around the house like an excitable puppy when he's getting ready for work, talking at him about all the revisions I've made that day, or asking him if he thinks a new scene would work in a certain spot, etc. I have been known to talk AT him from the moment he wakes up until the moment he pulls out of the driveway. He accepts this behavior now.

    Good luck with your rewrite! I just finished a huge revision, and now I get to read it through and smooth out the rough edges, again, for like the 43rd time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, YES!!! I know just what you mean. I have been know to talk AT people, too. (Usually they tolerate this admirably, nodding and smiling in all the right places!)

      Good luck on your re-writes, too. I never imagined it would be so difficult to get down on paper the story that is so clear in my head!

      Delete
  4. Fortunately for my beta readers they live in other states. I do harass them via e-mail though. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an out-of-state beta that I plan to start harassing next week.

      Delete
  5. Changing from third person past to first person present...wow. That is a huge revision, and maybe even rewrite? Yikers. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am starting to feel panicky...this is going to take SEVERAL pass throughs just to make sure I didn't miss a third-person-past, or slip back into it.... STRESSED!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the recent follow! You have set for yourself an awe-inspring goal. I wish you the best of luck as you embark on revisions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have a feeling a will be needing a fair bit of luck if I hope to get through this without becoming "Psycho Writer."

      Delete
  7. I'm actually more scared of reading other people's work and critiquing it, 'cause I'm scared I won't do their work justice or give them really useful info! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I always want to give "helpful" feedback, but then I worry I will hurt their feelings or alientate them. Such a fine line we have to walk...

      Delete
  8. Yeah, handing stuff over is hard. I always tell myself that I can change it, but then I feel like I've used one of my fresh betas and now they aren't fresh anymore, so if I change things, they won't be as much help to me. So yeah, I'm always worried that I've wasted my one shot with a fresh beta.

    You'd think this would make me better about putting stuff together and polishing it up, but no. I sort of reach a point where I need some feedback, and I have to send it out into the world.

    So yeah, hard and stressful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy moly! This just made me realize...I NEED SOME FRESH BETAS. No, seriously. I need more eyes! If anyone wants to volunteer some eyes, feel free to leave a comment or e-mail me.

      (Hyperventilating.)

      Delete
  9. All this talk about "fresh betas" is making me feel not so fresh. ... are you trying to tell me something? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fear not! Even if you WERE, though, I am pretty sure they have stuff for that...

      Seriously, though, I would not have gotten this far without your patience, and help, and reassurance, and enthusiasm!

      Delete
  10. You're getting along well from the sound of it, and your positive attitude makes me absolutely root for you!

    I think you're right to develop a thick skin. I sometimes think that someone should write a guide to what writers REALLY need, and the whole first chapter should be devoted to developing a thick skin. The writer could start with friends and family making kindly critcisms, go on to intelligent critiques from well informed strangers, then start posting it on their blog and asking the world for their opinion and finally offer their work for review by carefully selected crazies gathered off the one-star ranting reviews on Amazon :D

    Well, I suppose I am joking. Kind of. At any rate, I have found it's useful to be in the habit of assessing whoever comments on my stuff, to see if I actually respect their approach.

    Thanks for joining my blog by the way. Do you want to register for the giveaway? I wasn't too sure what to offer, so decided on a mix of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just registered (fingers crossed!). I adore the teaspoon...seriously. There is this wonderful shop called "Things UK" that I adore. It is a tiny little shop, packed top to bottom with things, and I could spend hours there.

      We go there for crackers before Christmas, and sporadically throughout the year. Let me just confess that I could spend a stupid amount of money there. (So if I ever win the lottery, or if my book does well, I plan to go crazy there! Things UK--you have been warned! Start stocking up now!)

      Delete
  11. Aww, thanks for mentioning me!! :D

    And oh my gosh, I can't wait to read it!!! I'm so excited! I feel bad for continuously asking you to critique my chapters when I haven't done anything for you yet!!

    Also, I love first person. I'm writing my second novel (not the sequel to the one your reading... my OTHER one...) in Third Person Past Tense, but I'm thinking about switching back to First Person Present. I just like the way it sounds.

    Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete