Monday, March 12, 2012

The Value of Truth, or Why a Good Beta is Hard to Find

Sometimes we give our work to trusted friends and family to read, but they are not always the best ones to judge our work.  They may not always be entirely...unbiased.  They look at our work through the eyes of someone who cares about us, and does not want to hurt us, and wants to "build us up" not "near us down."  But, honestly, sometimes you  have to tear something down in order to rebuild it stronger.

I am in the process of re-writing, and editing, and fleshing out my book, and I am starting to appreciate more and more those who have the strength to point out the things that still need work.  If you EVER beta read for someone, please heed my words:  It is better that you point out any flaws or weaknesses NOW rather than allow them to be pointed up in a review later. 

I am lucky in that the readers that I have do tend to read with a critical eye.  It may go against their very nature, but they do try to be ruthless, and for that I am unspeakably grateful.

"Ezra Pound, il miglior fabbro" (the better craftsman)
Since I have been thinking so intently on criticism and its benefits, I am reminded of Ezra Pound and the assistance he offered to T. S. Eliot and so many others...  (Disclaimer:  I have a HUGE soft spot for Ezra Pound...always have.)  He worked tirelessly to promote other writers, and in the grand scheme of things, the stars of many of the writers Pound promoted now seem to outshine him.  But without Ezra Pound, their stars would not shine nearly as brightly as they do...

One of my very favorite poems is T. S. Eliot's Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.  When it was first published, Eliot dedicated it to "Ezra Pound, il miglior fabbro" (the better craftsman).  For some reason, this still breaks my heart.

I understand the value of good criticism.  I respect it.  I long for it.  It is what all writers hope to find.

5 comments:

  1. I always have a hard time trying to decide how honest to be in my critiques. I mean, I'm not shy about telling people when their sentences are awkward or where the plot seems flimsy, but sometimes I don't know how (or if) I should express concerns about marketability or a character's appeal. Sometimes I worry that saying something, especially when it could just be MY personal preference, may cause more harm than good.

    But I agree, a good beta reader who is willing to help you through the rough patches in your novel is hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a fine line, isn't it? Personally, I appreciate all feedback. It is good for a writer to consider how they intend to market the book (even if they are going the "traditional" publishing route). For me, the book is my baby...and just as I would not expect someone else to raise my baby, I don't expect someone else market my book. I think the writer needs to be able to know who he/she is writing for (i.e., their "market") and should have a good idea of the best ways to make those readers aware of the book!

      I also think that writers need to be able to discern what is one readers opinion and what is actually constructive criticism. One a work is made public, the criticism may be less constructive and more destructive if these issues are not worked out ahead of time.

      Just as I would not try to rewrite my work to make everyone happy, I need to be able to hear what my beta readers have to say and learn what to act on and what to take with a grain of salt.

      The more I think about it, the more I resolve to try to grow thicker skin before the book launches...

      Delete
  2. Beta reading is hard. What's even harder is not knowing where to go with a critique. Sometimes someone gives you work, but you just don't know what they are thinking. I've read stuff I was told was "Just a little cleanup" from submission.

    That really puts me in a bind when I see bigger issues. Especially when I see gaping holes all the time in published stuff. Does that make that book not the best it could have been? I don't know, so what do I say? Do I point stuff out knowing that in their heart, they think it's ready for prime time, but it's going to get mowed down by the pros?

    Oh so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree. I couldn't improve if people didn't criticize my work. I mean, I love it when people make a comment like, "That was so cool!" or "I really loved this!" But I couldn't get any better if that's ALL people said.

    You know, as I was reading this, I was listening to a song called "Better" by Plumb and one of the lines of the song goes like this: But in the end, what leaves you broken, in the end, makes you better.

    I thought it fit really well with the post, lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing is more valuable than those initial Beta readers. There is definitely a balance to find, in taking critique you need to, and understanding other writers' personal preferences vs. your own. That's the hardest. But I never would have realized that scenes or dialogue I thought were so clear, were actually confusing or misleading if not for Beta readers. Beta readers inspired me to rewrite a character's dialogue - every line! - because in the initial draft everything he said was too forced.

    And the more detailed the better. It can be hard, when critiquing a friends' work, or convincing a friend Beta to tear your piece apart (in the nicest way possible, haha), but it's the way to go.

    Not only that, but it's a great level of support while writing the drafts! Just knowing that you have people waiting to read your work can inspire you to sit down and write when you'd rather procrastinate. At least it does for me.

    Loved the post, ^_^

    ReplyDelete